Wednesday, December 29, 2004

And so it begins...

We start filming tonight and we're already off to a rocky start. Exactly 10 days ago I was in a bad bike accident, and broke my arm in 6 places (my bones were poking through the skin in a couple of places). On the upside I got a ride on one of San Diego’s newest paramedic units and some kickass pain meds. Today I got the stitches (60+) out and a new lighter cast, designed by my orthopedic surgeon to allow me maximum flexibility for operating a camera. It hurts like hell, even with the vicodin. My camera man, Ricardo, finally made it here from Mexico City. I couriered his plane tickets 3 weeks ago, but they never arrived, so I had to resend him tickets. They arrived yesterday and he arrived this morning. Sheesh.

Tonight we’re going to the Wiener Nationals pre-race party, where we will be meeting most of the competitors from around the country. Our eye is on Noodles who, two years in a row, has “won” the Wiener Nats, only to have the race declared a false start and then lost the second (and final) race. Hopefully this year he will win an undisputed race (finally).



Noodles (right) is edged out by Buddy in the
controversial final race of the 2003 Wiener Nationals
Photo (c) Kevin Nibur

No comments: